When you have to make similar responses to email correspondence through your account, you can find easier ways to get it done. There is the option of setting up canned responses in your account. When you find yourself sending similar responses to different people, the auto reply function would come of help. That will enable you to send across such messages in an automated manner.
If you are wondering how it works, it is akin to setting up a filter. There are certain conditions that you can key in, such as the recipient who emails you. Link emails with such conditions with automatic responses you can create and store from before. These are known as canned responses. There is also the vacation response that you could create and send which involves a different setting. In such a case a standard response is saved which is sent in response to all emails that come into your account while you are away and not accessing the account.
The process to follow
If you wish to set up canned responses, you need to follow the steps as given below:
- Log on to your account and visit the Settings option on the top right hand corner.
- Here you will find the Labs section.
- Here you will get a template to create messages that can be sent through the auto reply function.
- A show search option comes on the top page of your account.
- Here you could define the search criteria for applying a filter such as a certain recipient or any words that appear in the body or subject of emails.
- You will find a link to create a filter with the search option.
- You can then check the box next to this criterion called Send canned response.
- There will appear a drop down menu next to the option and you can choose which canned response you wish to send across when the filtering criteria are fulfilled by incoming messages.
There are certain facts that one needs to keep in mind about sending automated responses. The filtering option applies only to new messages that come in. If there are existing emails to which the filters would apply, the canned responses will only be sent out to new messages after the filters are created. Also remember that canned responses do go from your account but the email address is slightly altered. Hence, if your email ID is [email protected], the canned response would go out as [email protected]. The replies would still appear in your inbox. The other point to note is that, it is not possible to email attachments along with auto responses. Also, inline images also do not get sent out in such emails. However, one can include rich text formatting in such responses which allows one to plan the message in auto response emails in creative ways.
The above points can help one use the canned response feature that Gmail offers. As the filtering criteria are quite effective, the right use of filtering keywords can help you set up filtering options that would choose the right incoming messages and send out canned responses automatically. This can help one to reduce their work burden of having to reply in the same manner to certain emails all the time.